I have compiled a list of the top 5 things I will no longer be able to do in a week and a half when my kids return from their summer break with the grandparents in Podunky Small Town, Arizona:
1. Plant my arse on the couch in front of the television and eat a bowl of my favorite cereal for dinner. Usually a combo of Frosted Shredded Wheat, Cinnamon Life, and Quaker Oat Squares. Mmm-mmm!
2. Sleep in on Saturday mornings. Nope. My Tater Tot will commence with her Saturday morning ritual of standing next to my bed, leveling her wide-eyed piercing stare at me, and chanting, "Mom... Mom... Mom... Momma... Mom... Mom... Mom... I'm hungry, Mom!... Mom... Momma... Mom... Can you make pancakes?... Waffles?... Mom?... Huh?... Momma?... MOM!!"
3. Get to church on time. Fully clothed. It's a long story.
4. Shop at the grocery store without the constant, nagging fear in the back of my mind that my children will destroy the magazine and candy aisle before I am even halfway through my grocery list, which will cause me to forget the milk and eggs, which were all I really needed anyway, in my frantic attempt to shepherd the kids out of the store before anyone notices the mayhem left behind in the greeting cards section.
5. Power Nap after work. Ah, sweet, sweet Power Naps. Au revoir, little naps of power. Au revoir. What?! Please. Like no one else does that.
- Circus Kelli commented:
Cat, I completely understand this, I really do. Now you know why we never ship our kids off with their grandparents for more than an overnight adventure. Well, there are other reasons, but if we never ship them off for extended vacas from the parental units, us parental units will never be able to get used to all that cereal for dinner and sleep-in Saturdays and stuff.
- » 8/16/2005 6:47 AM
- Nessa commented:
I love power napping after work - I miss power napping after work - will I ever get to power nap after work again? Probably not!
- » 8/16/2005 8:28 AM
- Cat commented:
Oh, how I will miss the Power Nap. Boo.
- » 8/16/2005 8:42 AM
- Erin-erin-bo-berin commented:
WHAT? You have people that WILLINGLY take your kiddos? Something I'm looking forward to. Someday...
- » 8/16/2005 9:29 AM
- WILLIAM commented:
I am curious about #3????
- » 8/16/2005 9:56 AM
- mrtl commented:
I can't say anything. I'm shutting up now.
- » 8/16/2005 10:34 AM
- Random and Odd commented:
crazy sex on the couch without fear of the kids walking in.
Yeah, THAT will never happen again. EVER.
- » 8/16/2005 11:02 AM
- Cat commented:
Ah. Kristine just goes and blurts out what a delicate Cat could only silently mourn...
(But I would have said "on the dining room table.")
- » 8/16/2005 11:19 AM
- not-so-normal mom commented:
crazy sex does happen after they start school and you meet at home for "lunch". Cat, I understand. I also have three littled guys and I can't even imagine how wonderful it was to have a little mini vacation away from them. But I know you missed them also! So, make sure this saturday, you sleep in EXTRA late. Maybe even stay in bed for lunch. Draw it out. Eat cereal EVERY night. You know, try to get it out of your system....
- » 8/16/2005 11:22 AM
- Free_Ipod commented:
oh how I too feel your pain.
- » 8/16/2005 11:27 AM